Commemorating 125 Years

Since 1892!

The company was founded by Ansel T. Green in 1892 as a farm implement and steam powered equipment repair shop in Aberdeen, South Dakota. Green came to Aberdeen in 1882 and worked for the railroad until forming his company.

In 1901, manufacturing began with the manufacture of well drilling equipment. Automobiles became more popular as did trucks and gas powered tractors. This change gave way to expanding the business into a rebuilding company.

In 1906, the company changed its name to Hub City Iron Works and continued to be a repair business.

In the mid 1920's, the company began manufacturing tractor replacement valve guides. The 1920's were a great growth period for Hub City. With a talented machinist and pattern maker who had emigrated from Denmark, the company designed and manufactured the necessary tools needed for the repair and rebuilding of the ever increasing, sophisticated internal combustion engines. Because the company was a repair and manufacturing company with a machinist, they continued to develop, design and manufacture the Hub City product line. They soon outgrew the small foundry and, at the closing of another small Aberdeen foundry, more people were added to an already well experienced work force.

The 1930's were also tremendous growth years. Added to Hub City's product line were valve seat installation tooling, machines for babbitting bearing and connecting rods of the engines, special fixtures for boring tractor cylinder sleeves, and special tooling for the still famous Model A and early V8's.

The company reorganized under the name of Hub City Iron Company, from which our current name is derived.

Hub City founder, Ansel T. Green, died and Paul C. Green was named President. These were the war years and, during this period, Hub City became a major manufacturer of replacement parts for the government. The parts were used in jeeps, tanks, aircraft, etc. They also manufactured tooling for these components. Because of the inability to get pig iron, the foundry was forced to close.

The post-war years were great growth years. More manufacturing space was added to the growing company, with the addition of several Quonsets and the reopening of the foundry. Hub City went into major manufacturing of engine replacement components and became a major supplier in the United States. The product line stayed about the same until the introduction of the power takeoff adapter and the first gearbox.

In 1956, Hub City began manufacturing reducers, also referred to as gearboxes. The first units were of the right angle design. Through the rest of the 1950's and early 1960's, Hub City again continued with tremendous growth.

In the early 1960's, Hub City became known to the world as a major manufacturing company. The company was acquired by the Lancaster Corporation based in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, later named Safeguard Scientifics. The Aberdeen Division of Safeguard has gone under several names, such as Safeguard Automotive and Safeguard Industries. The company continued to expand the product line and the distribution of product, primarily the power transmission line.

On November 10, 1972 Safeguard, now known as Hub City, experienced its single most dramatic change when a fire destroyed the division's main offices, assembly area, job shop, finished goods warehouse, shipping area, and receiving area. In short, it destroyed a major portion of the company. Fortunately, the manufacturing part of the company, which was located in another building, and all company personnel were spared. Two days after the fire, Safeguard personnel from Pennsylvania were in Aberdeen to evaluate the situation. From the evaluation came the construction of our new plant.

Construction began in January of 1973 on a new 125,000 square foot building to house the manufacturing, assembly, shipping and other departments. By mid year, this building was ready for production, and in December an open house was held for employees and their family members.

Hub City Aberdeen Facility

Construction of a new office building began in the spring of 1974 and by November the offices were completed.

In 1978, construction of one of the most modern gray iron foundries was completed and the Safeguard Casting Division was formed.

In 1980, Safeguard added another 6,000 square foot building to house the assembly of a new reducer added to the product line. The unit was for a solar energy facility located in Daggett, California.

In 1983, Hub City purchased the Mounted Bearing Division from Browning/Emerson Electric in Maysville, Kentucky.

The Mounted Bearing Division began manufacturing bearings in a new facility in Brookings, South Dakota. The Southwest Assembly/Distribution Center was created in Dallas, Texas.

The Hub City Canada Warehouse (PTM Industries) was established. The Southwest Assembly/Distribution Center began shipping reducers. Australia began assembling Hub City reducers. This all happened in 1984.

In 1985, the foundry added a new ductile iron furnace. The Southeast Assembly/Distribution Center opened in Norcross, Georgia. The Northeast Assembly/Distribution Center opened in Westfield, Massachusetts. Hub City Canada expanded to an assembly center.

In 1986, Midwest Assembly/Distribution Center opened in Ft. Wayne, Indiana (now located in Indianapolis). Western Assembly/Distribution Center opened in Santa Fe Springs, California. Safeguard Casting Division closed. The Federal Line of parallel gearbox, manufacture and assembly moved to Aberdeen.

Aberdeen Assembly/Distribution Center was formed in 1988.

Safeguard was sold in 1989 to Hub City, Inc. an Aberdeen based firm. Hub City placed advertisements in Russian publications. Hub City Rugby joined Hub City, Inc. assembly/distribution network.

May of 1992 marked a significant event for Hub City, Inc. Hub City was acquired by Regal-Beloit Corporation, a world-wide supplier of power transmission equipment, perishable cutting tools, electric motors and generators, and related products. Manufacturing, sales and service facilities are located throughout the United States and in Europe and the Far East. Regal-Beloit Corporation is traded under the symbol RBC on the New York Stock Exchange.

Hub City celebrated its 100 year anniversary, which included an open house attended by area residents, state and local officials, including Senator Tom Daschle and the late Governor George Mickelson.

The Foote-Jones product line was moved to the Hub City, Aberdeen facility in early 2004.  These products are manufactured alongside the Hub City products and increase the gearing capacity produced in the Hub City facility to over 5,000 HP.  For further information on Foote-Jones products, see the Foote-Jones web site.

Hub City continues to grow and produce qualty products in Aberdeen, SD.  Recent ADC changes include a new ADC (Since 2008) in Lakeland, Florida and transfer of the Toronto ADC to Advantage Sales in Brampton, ON. 


In February of 2015, Regal acquired the Power Transmission Solutions Division of Emerson Automation.  With this acquisition, Hub City became a part of the new PTS (Power Transmission Solutions) Division of Regal Beloit Corporation.  While integration and resource movement is still ongoing, with respect to Hub City, two changes of note have taken place. In October, 2015, the Brookings Mounted Bearing Division was relocated to Florence, KY.  Also, Hub City's Santa Fe Springs, CA ADC was moved to Regal PTS, Chino, CA, in August of 2016.


A 125th Anniversary Celebration is planned in Mid 2018 at the Aberdeen facility.  More details to follow.

AT Green

Mfg Plant 1


Plant before fire

More History


Plant on Fire


After fire


About Us